Re: Replacement fuel pump

To: rwg1@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: Replacement fuel pump
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 21:59:55 EDT
On Thu, 15 May 1997 10:44:10 -0500 Roger Garnett wrote:

>Your saving may be that your pump is rated >> 3.8-5.7 psi and not 4-7,
like many for the US market.

Could be right.  There is another model of this pump that is rated 4-7
psi, and people are saying that 7 psi is definitely a gusher situation.
 This pump is rated 3.8-5.7 psi.  I suppose that's the manufacturing
tolerance range for static pressure, would guess the actual number would
be somewhere in between, like maybe 5 psi.  The other part of the rating
was 16.8 GPH at 2.3 psi, so the pressure is also related to flow,
pressure drops off some as the flow increases.

Being an engineer I'm particular about getting the numbers right, so I
just now stuck a pressure gauge directly into the output of the pump to
see what was to see.  What I got was, I think, good news.  Pressure came
up gradually, and after about 5 seconds the static pressure stopped at
about 4.0 psi.  By turning the power off and on repeatedly I could just
get it to bump up to 4.8 psi.  Allowing only a very small trickle to
escape from the outlet while it was running dropped the pressure back to
3.5 psi.

So now I feel even better about this model of pump.  I don't think it
will ever go over 5 psi with the engine off, and not over 4 psi with the
engine running, more commonly 3 or 3.5 psi.  I do have a pressure
regulator lying around.  Maybe I'll toss it in the travel kit -- someone
else might need it.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA