Re: LBC week, leaf springs

To: Larry Dickstein <bugide@juno.com>
Subject: Re: LBC week, leaf springs
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 12:36:34 -0500
Larry Dickstein wrote:

> David-
>         When you said you were going to replace your leaf springs "soon",
> back up about a week.  Get a can of WD40, or other suitable penetrating
> spray and spray the bejesus out of all the nuts, bushings, and anything
> else threaded back there.  Do this two or three times before the actual
> removal day and you will be glad you did.

Larry is basically a wuss. I replaced the rear-springs on both a long
gone Midget and the current MGC/GT. No big deal. But I will admit I
removed some of the old parts with a grinder and, when I bought the
springs from VB, I paid the extra dollars for the "installation kit"
that includes all the nuts, bolts, washers, and bushings. That makes the
job pretty easy.

I hear folks put GT springs on their Roadsters. I, myslef, can't figure
out why you would want to do that. Them springs are quite harsh enough
on the C/GT! It would seem softer springs with upgraded tube shocks
would be a better way to go for both handling and ride comfort.

And finally, I wish some one would come up with a testimonial for the
fiberglass rear srpings avaiable from British Automotive
(http://www.mgbmga.com/). They have technical info there
(http://www.mgbmga.com/price/index.html) and, other than the price of
entry, I can't see a downside to this setup.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6