Re: Tire PSI

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tire PSI
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 15:13:57 -0700
dmeadow@juno.com wrote:
>  When driving off, I hit the
> first bump and it was like the tires were made of wood.  I checked the
> air pressure and found it was over 40 pounds!  I took the car back, not
> only to fix this idiocy, but to have the tires remounted so the valve was
> in the right place.  Tire guy insists that all tires should be filled to
> the maximum as stated on the side of the tire!

My first mechanic job was at a quick oil change place (Victory lane
in Ann Arbor,MI). Sometimes my job was to be the little monkey that
ran around the car washing the windows and checking the tires while
they were getting their oil changed.
One time a woman came in with a van that had four new tires, one had
a PSI of 75+ (as high as my gauge would go). I let the air out, later
she returned to complement us on how much smoother her van was with the
oil change.
I think what happens is that tire mechanics over inflate the tires to
get them to seat on the rim good, then let the air out after. They
probably forget the after now and then.
Tire mechanics are the lowest on the mechanic ladder of success, only
over the quick oil change guys. If he had been a tire mechanic that long
he must have been a real moron.
By the way, I saw lots of really underinflated tires more than over
inflated, some as low as 5 PSI. I would put around 30 in the front and
25 in the rear for all cars- about as precise as you'll get at the quick
change places.
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"

P.S. You mentioned getting the tires remounted to get the valves in the
right place, where is the right place?