Re: Tire PSI

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Tire PSI
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 10:40:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Robert Allen!!

On Sun, 25 May 1997, Robert Allen wrote:

> All things being equal (and they never are) the closer the rim width is
> to the tire width, the more precise the handling. Conversely, the ride
> improves (comfort) as the rim width gets smaller than the tire width.

Read and heed people!!  What Robert is saying is that the STOCK MG rims
are too narrow to mount a wide tyre and receive the full benefit of the
wider tyre.  Just 'cause it LOOKS good doesn't make it so.

Every tyre has a recommended rim width, with the narrow size giving you
that cushy ride, and the wide size giving you the best responsiveness.

BF Goodrich Radial TA -  195/60VR14  5.0"-7.5" rim width
"    "      Comp   "  -  185/70 R14  5.0"-6.5"
"    "      Rad. TA 70- P185/70SR14  5.0"-6.5"

If I remember correctly (I am still an Old Fart, so...) the stock MG rim
is 4" in width, unless you snag a set of GT rims at 4.5"

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen  (who doesn't like the "feel", or the wheel patter of
                     the wider tyres)