Pertronix

To: felixksw@leland.Stanford.EDU, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Pertronix
From: ceecpa@ols.net (Charles Edwards)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 11:33:46 -0400 (EDT)
Hi, Felix.  I've installed Ignitors on my '73 and '77 MGBs (25D4
distributors) as well as on my '59 Mercedes (Bosch VJUR series distributor).
The units work very well, but must be connected in specific ways. With the
unit came instructions for determining if the unit is faulty.  It probably
isn't, but it is possible to induce a fault via incorrect wiring.

The low tension lead to which you refer is a 12 volt supply lead, which is
"live" with the ignition switched "on".  This must be connected to the +
terminal of the coil.  The Ignitor is also connected to the + terminal of
the coil. There will be 12 volts at the + and - terminals of the coil.  The
foregoing will be true with point ignition as well, if the points are closed.

Use of the Ignitor makes increased spark plug electrode gaps possible, with
.035" a practical maximum.  The Ignitor does not deliver a "hotter" spark
than points, but the shape of the voltage surge is an inverted,
flat-bottomed "U", rather than an inverted "V" as delivered by points.

You will find that your vehicle will idle more smoothly and can be "revved"
higher because the spark will be delivered with a consistent duration.

Good luck.