Re: locks

To: Jason_Wood@inc.com
Subject: Re: locks
From: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 17:29:41 -0400
Jason_Wood@inc.com wrote:

>      Are the locks for the doors and trunk opened by the same key?  Mine
>      didn't come with a door or trunk key, so I am unable to lock the car.
>
>      My question is this:  If I were to remove the core to the trunk lock,
>      could I have a key made for it by a locksmith (has anyone done this?),
>      and, if I did, would that key also work on the doors (assuming, of
>      course, all locks are in working condition)?  I know that locking
>      convertibles is tantamount to asking for the top to be cut--I'm just
>      curious.

Boy!  Did _you_ come to the right place!  I just went though this.  Mine
didn't come with a door / trunk key either.  Unless they've been changed
one key will fit both.  On mine (also a '77) the doors and trunk take an
Ilco  62FS  key blank.  Don't bother taking anything apart.  A locksmith
can "impression" a key while the lock is still on the car.  I did mine
in about two minutes.

Unfortunately, the glove box takes a seperate (third) key.  I haven't
been able to come up with a blank to fit it yet, (haven't tried very
hard).  Anybody got'ny suggestions?

>      Another question:  Where can I get an official shop manual for this
>      '77 B?  Used is fine, and probably cheaper.

You should be able to get a new ones,   (shop manual _and_ owner's
manual <<<< very handy ) from Moss or The Roadster Factory

Bobby
77 MGB Roadster  (Green with black spots)
--
                                       Bob De Weese
                             Certified Professional Locksmith

*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *