Scumbags

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Scumbags
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 20:18:56 +0000
Looked out of the bedroom window this morning to see the
V8's windscreen trim and sundry pieces if rubber strewn
across the garden. First thought was vandalism but closer
inspection showed that the bastards had cut the rubber seal
back from the glass, removed the inner beading as well as
all the trim and tried to lever the glass out in several
places. Amazingly they did not succeed in removing it, just
cracking it from top to bottom in several places.

Police came and said they were probably just after the radio,
they had also been to a Discovery locally where they had got
the glass out in one piece just for the radio. I wondered
if they had been after my car, being a bit of a rarity, but
the Police said they would have gone for the locks. Then
found that they had had a go at both locks, but so half-
heartedly that I hadn't even noticed at first, and they both
still work.

So, back to my friendly windscreen man for the second time
in six months. Located a set of trim at a local place for
50 Pounds, and last time the glass alone was over 200 Pounds.
I have a 200 Pound excess and wondered if the Insurance Co
would treat this as a general claim under the circumstances
rather than a windscreen claim, which *only* carries an
excess of 50 Pounds, but fortunately not.

Question is, how do I best protect the car? Imobiliser in
case someone wants the car? Wheel clamp to stop them
wheeling the car away and fiddling with the imobiliser at
their leisure? Alarm to detect them getting in whatever
the reason? I have had at least one car with a
manufacturers alarm that only went off if the glass was
smashed, not if it was removed.

PaulH.