Re: Scumbags -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Scumbags -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:45:01 -0400

>>> Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net> 06/20/97 09:43am >>>
I thought I remember someone saying that the Car
Alarm sound is nothing more thatn the modern Urban
Cricket chirping.

In my opinion, they have become less effective because
everyone has one, they all go off with lots of flase
alarms, and scumbags have become more sophicticated
in disarming them.

Agreed, Jay.  This is also my argument against the new cars whose
headlights stay on all the time.  As a motorcyclist, my front or rear
silhouette is much smaller than a car (yes, even an MG - but not by
much).  The thing that addes to my visibility is that my head and
taillight is on in the daytime.  That this is out of the ordinary for
most of the traffic allows me to stand out just a little bit - hopefully
enough to make me visible to the Taurus driver with the windows up and
air conditioner blasting while he's chatting with his wife on the
cel-phone.  When all the cars have their headlights burning away in the
daytime, I'll once again become transparent.  (A consideration which
seems to have slipped by the students of this safety feature.  Once
everyone's doing it, it will no longer be effective even on 4-wheelers.)

So I'm threatening to take the mufflers off my bike.  I should get
noticed that way.

Obligatory LBC content:

My Haynes manual says that my '74 B's tappets should be adjusted to
.015" cold.  Yet the plate under the hood says to use .013" hot.  Anyone
got the inside scoop on this?  (I tried the .015" cold, and they seem a
bit noisy.  I'm going back to .013" hot this weekend.)

Cheers,

  -- Matt Kulka