Re: rheostat--help!

To: Jason_Wood@inc.com
Subject: Re: rheostat--help!
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 22:13:05 -0500
Jason_Wood@inc.com wrote:

>      Questions regarding the Panel Rheostat,or dashboard light dimmer
>      switch.
>
>      1) How do you get it off the dashboard?

Jason -    You remove the knob from the shaft, then you should be able
to unthread the chrome nut from the body of the rheostat.

>      2) If I have pulled the knob off (shaft and all) have I broken
> it?

Probably.  I took apart my old one, and looking at the design, if the
shaft came out of the body, it's ruined, most likely.  The knob is held
on by a spring loaded pin on the shaft.  If you look at the side of the
knob, you should see a hole into which you can insert a small diameter
punch or a nail and press the pin to release the knob.

>      3) How does this thing work (where does the juice go in? where
> does it
>      go out? What happens to it while it is in there?)?

There are two terminals, they are interchangeable.  Call one the
gozinta, the other the gozouta.  The juice goes in the gozinta, a
portion gets converted to heat by the internal resistance, and the
remainder goes out the gozouta.  That goes to the instrument lamps.

>      4) Why is it so expensive to replace?

Because it's Lucas?  because it's a poor design inside?  Because the
internals are made of Rarium, not yet decayed into Unobtanium?  Because
there is low demand for more of these?  Take your pick.

>      5) Can I go without it for now and still have headlights and
> dashboard
>      lights?

Definitely.  After I bought a replacement for my old, locked up
rheostat, I found that I run it at full brightness anyway.  The lights
really aren't very bright.  So, you would just connect the two wires
together - this would give the same effect as the rheostat at full CW
rotation.  Headlights aren't effected by it anyway.

This is what stopped me from designing a solid state 3 terminal
regulator replacement.  I was going to incorporate this into the old
shell, but realized that I would never have any need to run the
instruments any dimmer than full brightness, so that project ended.

All of the above apply to my '79B - YMMV.
--
Keep on keepin' on!
(non illegitimus carborundus)

Wayne Kube  1979 MGB