Re: Cracked Exhaust Manifold 1975 Midget

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Cracked Exhaust Manifold 1975 Midget
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 15:01:47 -0500
Adrian Jones wrote:

> Well, then I thought thats almost the price of a good used one, which is
> almost the price of a nice new one, which is almost the price of a header.
> So that leads me to start a new thread on headers.

Oh boy. Here we go.

The standard exhaust manifold for the dual-SU 'B' motors was a pretty
efficient design; it is unlikely you can install a header and get better
performance out of a fairly stock motor. Also, being cast iron, it tends
to keep the heat in better than headers. This is important as the carbs
sit above the header and you are likely to 'heat soak' the float bowls
in hot weather and/or slow traffic. Finally, all headers are not created
equal. The sheet steel that makes up the manifold seal can be somewhat
thin and flimsy -- thus exhaust leaks are an ungoing maintenance
headache.

A new cast iron manifold can be a good value.

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"Never use a big word when a dimunitive one will do."