Air Compressor Wisdom

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Air Compressor Wisdom
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 09:41:52 +0100
I would like to thank all of you who responded to my request for
information about an air compressor recommendation. To a man, each and
every one of you experts said my idea was a bad idea. I, of course,
being a complete conformist, passed on the deal.

So, here is the deal.

This little portable was a 5 horsepower with a 20 gallon tank. It was a
direct drive 'oilless' model. The ratings were 9ish CFM at 40 PSI and
7.5ish CFM at 80 PSI. The price was $240. It ran on 115 volts.

They had a 'contractors version' that was also 5hp, had a separate, belt
driven compressor that needed oil. 18 gallon tank. It had fractionally
lower performance numbers, and cost $300. It also ran on 115 volts.

Then there was the 6 horse, 60 gallon, vertical and stationary model. It
needed 230 volts. It's ratings were 13.5ish at 40PSI and 10.5ish at 80
PSI. The cost was $400 but then you'd have to do some wiring and
plumbing.

Now what I'd like to know is what cannot be run with the 'little'
compressors. It would apprear that 5hp (and 115 volt) performance
numbers are pretty typical (9 at 40 & 7.5 at 80). What is your favorite
air tool and how much air does it need?

I can go for a bigger compressor if I can justify it for the more
air-hungry tools. Also, I can wander down to the tool shop and look at
the specs on the nicer tools. But what tools are the favorites  in the
cyber garages?

Again, I'm thinking of a die grinder so I can ligthen some cylinder
heads. Also a good sander, grinder to attempt some body work.

What I'm concluding is that there is a demarkation line: 115 volt, 5
horsepower, and lower performance for under $250 or the 230 volt 'big
boys' that'll require 230 volt and at least $500 after installation.
What does the big price difference buy you?

Thanks, guys.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, 'sucking air'