Re: Air Compressor Wisdom

To: boballen@sky.net
Subject: Re: Air Compressor Wisdom
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry J. Dickstein)
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 12:09:33 EDT
        Mornin', my pudgy friend!!  I'd like to impart all I know about
compressors and the tools that go along w/ them. (It won't take long)  In
answer to your question, the real "air eaters" are impact wrenches and DA
sanders.  You should not even try a beadblasting cabinet w/o a 5hp or
greater setup.  You use an impact wrench w/ a little compressor to change
the occasional tire.  Sometimes, you may have to wait a little to recoup
the air.  A DA, on the other hand, needs a constant supply of air and a
lot of it.  You can use one w/ a downstream compressor, but you will
spend a lot time waiting for the 30 second burst of air.
                         Painting presents the same problems.  It is not
too neat to stop and wait for the compressor to catch up, especially when
painting.  If the compressor runs too long and/or too often, then you
will exceed the duty cycle and the compressor police will come by your
house, unplug your compressor and take your beer.
        The little tools can be run longer on a sissy compressor.  The
die grinder type things use a lot of air for their size but you could get
by.  The drawback is that  your buddies will laugh at you.  If your house
lights don't dim momentarily when your compressor cycles, then you don't
have one big enough.  Ask Mrs. Allen.

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com