Re: Air Compressor Wisdom

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Air Compressor Wisdom
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 10:06:17 -0700
Robert Allen wrote:

> Now what I'd like to know is what cannot be run with the 'little'
> compressors.

I put up with a 1.5 horse compressor for many years. I think it was a
10 or 15 gallon tank. It would run all the air tools, but for only
about 30sec. You would then have to wait for it to charge up again. I
learned to live with it, as tools like the utility cut off tool, or an
impact wrench, get their job done pretty quick anyway. Painting and die
grinding were ok, it just took longer. Sandblasting seems to take the
most air, impossible with the 1.5 horse.
I have vowed that with the next big paint job I will buy a turbine HDLP
set up, so I really don't use a compressor for painting anymore, except
with a touch up gun, or air brush.
As far as tools go, it seems that when ever I need a air tool, my
budget is tight, so I tend to buy bottom of the line. My die grinder
was a $30 set, and the utility cut off tool like $15. Both get used
very regularly, and have been going for about five years. As long as
you keep your air dry, and squirt lots of WD40 in the tool, they will
work as good as the professional type. An air powered 'jitterbug' is
really nice for sanding, as you can wet sand with it, not something
you would want to do with an electric sander.
My impact wrench worked fine with the 1.5 horse too, but for only about
15sec. usually enough to break free whatever I was working on.
Unfortunatly my impact wrench disapeared during a move, I've been
hoping that it would eventually surface, but I think I'll go the
pawn shop route and just get another one.

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"

P.S. Now I have a 3HP 25 gallon used compressor, just barely enough
to be good enough. Someday, when we get a permanent house, I'm getting
a compressor the size of a submarine. ;o)