Re: 6V battery

To: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: 6V battery
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 06:07:40 -0500
Mark Moburg wrote:

> >There will be some on this list that will advise you to go with a 12 volt
> >battery that fits in one compartment. But for frigid winter weather, I
> >still like my 6 volts for maximum cranking power.
> >
> >David
> >
> ===Reply===
>
> I'm one of  them.  But that subject's been gone over before.  As to maximum
> cranking power from 2 six-volts, I don't think so.  Wiring in series doubles
> the voltage, not the amperage.  Wiring in parallel (i.e., a 6-volt system
> with 2 batteries) increases the amperage.  Basically, I think that a
> series-wired 12-volt system will have the cranking power of approximately
> the average of the two batteries.  I also think that a single 12-volt has
> more cranking amps than the 2 sixes, as more development work has been
> carried out on 12-volt batteries in the last 40 years than on 6-volt.

Mark -
        I tend to agree with you that modern 12 volt batteries are better.
But, if you're *really*
serious about more cranking power, put 2 twelve volts in parallel.  You
still end up with 12 volts, but the amperage will be doubled.  Just make
sure the batteries are identical for proper charging.  Put a group 26 in
each side, run the cable that comes from the starter to the battery on
the passenger side, the earth to this same battery, assuming negative
earth.  Then run a cable from this battery's positive to the positive on
the driver's side.  Connect the negative post to a good earth on this
side, or you could run another cable from here to the negative post on
the other battery.
        It's common for Diesel trucks to use a 12 volt system with 2 or even 3
batteries in parallel.  Doing this on your LBC should give you plenty of
reserve for very cold winter cranking.

--
Keep on keepin' on!
(non illegitimus carborundus)