Smoking Brakes

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Smoking Brakes
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 20:31:18 -0400
Hi Folks,
        Went for a nice drive this afternoon.  After about thirty miles I=

could smell
something burning and the MG slowed time, despite me giving it more and
more gas.  As I got
out, all this smoke wafted past me.  I looked under the hood - nothing
amiss.  Looked in the boot for tools - none there.  Looked under the hood=
,
then looked in the boot again for tools - still none there.
Well, I got back in to ponder the predictament.
I stuck my foot on the brake pedal and it was stuck!  It woudn't budge. =

Got out the car and, with the hand brake off and in neutral, I couldn't
push it.  So it looks like the brakes were not releasing  (Jeez, and ther=
was me giving it more and more gas - the abuse this car has seen)  I felt=

the front and back hubs and neither was particularly hot.  Got back in th=
car to think and the pedal had now some free play.  Fired it up and drove=

back home, no problem.
Anyway, yesterday I had put in a rebuilt brake master cylinder, adjusted
the back brakes to take up slack and also took some slack out of the peda=
movement by adjusting the "stoplight switch locking nut"  Right now there=

is 3/4" of play before resistance is felt.  Oh, confession time: I didn't=

bother "bench bleeding" the master cylinder.
I'm sure this is a classic case of something, though I don't know what. =

(Apart from incompetence, of course)  Tomorrow I"ll take off the wheels a=
nd
 look at the brakes but in the meantime has anybody got any suggestions.
Thanks everybody.
Adrian  (Smoking everyone in his Midget)     =