Re: Smoking Brakes

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Smoking Brakes
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 07:53:39 -0400

From:   Adrian Jones, =

To:     INTERNET:endicott@bellsouth.net, INTERNET:endicott@bellsouth.net
        majordomo, INTERNET:majordomo@autox.team.net
        =

Date:   7/7/97  7:29 AM

RE:     Re: Smoking Brakes

Mark,
Wow!  Is that a coincidence, or what.

I hate to say this but what we have in common is a rebuilt master cylinde=
r.
I'm assuming that you got it from Advance Auto.  If so, I feel bad becaus=
I had recommended them to you.

A while back I had put one in my 1500 Midget with no problem so I got
another one for my 1275.

I'm so glad that you "bench bled"  yours.  I didn't and I was thinking th=
at
may
have caused the problem.  =

I had a thought (at 4:30 am) that it could be the clevis pin binding.  Th=
DPO had =

replaced the clevis pin with a bolt (would you believe).  The threads wer=
filed/
worn down and it had been working OK for at least 16,000 miles so I put i=
back in.  Today, if I get a chance, I'll put in a proper clevis pin. =

Before I do that,  I'll try and get the brakes to bind and see what is
causing it.  Fat chance.  It'll only
happen again 30 miles from home.

The more I think, it has to be that bloody master cylinder not releasing.=
 =

Unless, =

by some weird coincidence, we both adjusted the back brakes to tight or
something.

Bleeding was a real pain in the butt.  I used a Ezi Bleed kit and couldn'=
get the MC to seal so I ended up with brake fluid dribbling down the insi=
de
of the car and down the outside of the rockers(?) ruining my recent paint=

job.  Then to get the brakes to lock up - this is putting a strain on my =
MG
relationship.  Bitch, moan, groan.

Anyway, I'll keep you informed.  Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of thi=
and all will be well again.

Regards,    Adrian
get the brakes to bind up again