Re: Speed-ectomy?

To: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Subject: Re: Speed-ectomy?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 23:03:56 +0100
PHILIPPE TUSLER wrote:

> Since we're on the subject of dismantling dash instruments, does anyone know
> how to get the speedo apart?  In the past when I've tried, I've always
> been defeated by the odometer reset shaft.  There does not seem to be
> a way to get the cover off without bending the shaft.  It does not
> push in sufficiently to allow clearance for the cover to come off.
>   This is true of the Smiths gauge on Tintin, as well as the Jaeger
> on Milou.
>   How do you avoid getting the shaft?

Hmmm. You mean the long, black, rubber/plastic tube thingy that hangs
off the back of the speedometer? I, ah, don't believe it has to come off
to dismantle the speedometer. Just remove the angle drive off the back
(if you have them) and loosen the two screws and the speedometer will
fall out -- through the front.

The glass and bezel is a baynoet fit to the front of the instrument. You
may have to lever up a couple of tangs to get the bezel to roate around
to an open slot and then the chrome ring and the glass just falls out
(onto the floor and breaks).

Once the two screws are removed on the back the speedo will slip through
the front. The odometer reset is just a hexagon shaped pole that mates
with the reset cable.

It's easy. Be careful with the little round black gasket material
between the chrome surround and the glass as it is made of unobtanium.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '76TR6, '61Elva
"If yain't got country music, yan't got s**t!" -- Dan Masters, Alcoa, TN