Re: Speed-ectomy?

To: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Subject: Re: Speed-ectomy?
From: Engelhardt <engel@metro.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 10:12:39 -0700
PHILIPPE TUSLER wrote:

> Since we're on the subject of dismantling dash instruments, does anyone know
> how to get the speedo apart?  In the past when I've tried, I've always
> been defeated by the odometer reset shaft.  There does not seem to be
> a way to get the cover off without bending the shaft.  It does not
> push in sufficiently to allow clearance for the cover to come off.
>   This is true of the Smiths gauge on Tintin, as well as the Jaeger
> on Milou.
>   How do you avoid getting the shaft?

I've taken my speedo apart numerous times. The only way I found to get
it apart without bending the shaft is to remove the indicator needle and
faceplate (held on by two tiny screws). The needle can be slowly worked
off. Mine comes apart easily now but the first time was a bear. Good
luck.

Ron
58 MGA (Jaeger Speedo)