Clutch Problems?

To: "MG owners list serve" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Clutch Problems?
From: "Don Toy" <dontoy@nb.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:24:05 -0400
Guys and Gals,
 I really need your collective wisdom. My TF has seem limited action in
recent years. The main reason is the incredible amount of heat being
generated, making it quite uncomfortable. I realize some of this heat is
natural and unavoidable, however, while making carb adjustments today I
couldn't even rest my forearms on the edge of the front 1/4 panel. A couple
conditions exist that may be factors.
1) I do get an occasional whiff of clutch lining from time to time.
2) I can never remember ever being comfortable with the way it shifts
(fragile & stiff).
3) There is a very short travel distance on the clutch pedal and its stiff.
4) There is some grinding despite the pedal being depressed as far as it
can be without snapping the rod.
5) I have replaced all associated linkage/levers&pins.
Could the clutch be the source of all this heat, given a fully operational
cooling system or am I barking up the wrong tree? Sorry so long.
Safety Fast,
Don Toy
54 TF HOT,HOT,HOT
80 MGB Top down and still rolling