Re: Clutch Problems?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch Problems?
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 18 Jul 1997 14:49:27 -0500
In <19970718192539.AAA13206@dontoy>, Don Toy wrote:
>Guys and Gals,
> I really need your collective wisdom. My TF has seem limited action in
>recent years. The main reason is the incredible amount of heat being
>generated, making it quite uncomfortable. I realize some of this heat is
>natural and unavoidable, however, while making carb adjustments today I
>couldn't even rest my forearms on the edge of the front 1/4 panel. A couple
>conditions exist that may be factors.
>1) I do get an occasional whiff of clutch lining from time to time.
>2) I can never remember ever being comfortable with the way it shifts
>(fragile & stiff).
>3) There is a very short travel distance on the clutch pedal and its stiff.
>4) There is some grinding despite the pedal being depressed as far as it
>can be without snapping the rod.
>5) I have replaced all associated linkage/levers&pins.
>Could the clutch be the source of all this heat, given a fully operational
>cooling system or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Hmm.  The only way a clutch can make heat is when it is slipping.
This results when the clutch is worn (or oily).  Your symptoms do not
sound like a worn clutch.  It would grab at only the last little bit
of pedal travel, and you suggest that it is not disengaging properly.

Another inconsistency here is that you say the heat is generated when
you were adjusting the carbies.  In that event, one presumes the
gearbox is in neutral and the only thing you are doing is driving the
laygear in the tranny, which would put a minimal load on the
driveline.  Clutch doesn't look like the culprit.

T's get !!@#@! hot.  Especially in the summer.  Even after a thorough
cleaning of the radiator, new water pump and tanking the block, mine
runs at about 85 deg C in moderate weather and in the 90's when the
ambient is above 85.  This also blows into the cockpit (where is this
heat in the wintertime, I wonder?)  Right now (it being 94 out there)
mine sits in the garage and the vehicle of choice is the B.

Sorry I don't have much to say, but I don't vote for clutch, although
you may have some problem with yours (like a worn-out throwout
bearing...).
                        A. B. Bonds