Re: Clutch Problems?

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>, <dontoy@nb.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Problems?
From: "Mike Ellsworth" <mikeells@alpha.shianet.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 08:25:47 -0400

----------
> From: ROBERT G. HOWARD <mgbob@juno.com>
> To: dontoy@nb.net
> Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Clutch Problems?
> Date: Saturday, July 19, 1997 9:49 AM
>
> Hi Don,
>   Some random thoughts on the heat--
>   Could it be that you have two problems with the clutch?  1-that it does
> not separate sufficiently to allow for smooth shifting and 2-that it's
> slipping from time to time and making clutch smell?
>   Is the engine running OK? Overheating? How is oil pressure?
>   Underhood temps of TFs are high(er) than for the TDs, and they were
> uncomfortably warm to the touch.
>   During the safety inspections at the GOF, one car was found to have its
> fan blades installed backwards--they tried to push air forward toward the
> radiator vs aft, pulling through it. Might check that.
>   Austin Healeys are generally thought of as being the ultimate in
> creature discomfort, as so much of the mechanical gear is in the cockpit.
> They have rudimentary vents that look fine but pass no air.
>   Wonder if it might be possible to make an opening in the firewall, in
> the area where the passenger footrest ( just a hollow box) is situated,
> so that some air movement could be induced.

        At the Mad Dogs & Englishmen meet at Hickory Corners, Mi. last Sunday, I
met Scott Helms, AKA "trmgafun". While admiring several Big Healeys, we
came across one with an unfamiliar door in the side, near the drivers
footwell. Just then the owner came by, and Scott asked him about it. It
seems that a previous owner was a pilot, and the door was an aircraft
accessory (possibly for an oil cooler?) which he had converted to allow
fresh air into the drivers footwell. It was operated from inside, and could
be opened or closed to keep the cockpit comfortable. The current owner
liked it so well, that when he restored the car, he left it in place.

                                        Mike Ellsworth
                                        71 Midget