Re: Physics quiz (was: The old hotfoot routine - reply)

To: kdodd@West.net
Subject: Re: Physics quiz (was: The old hotfoot routine - reply)
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:31:24 EDT
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:55:44 -0700 Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net> writes:
>Matt:
>       I have installed a TR7 AC blower assembly into the MGB heater
>box.  The front plate of the box must be cut for the larger diameter
>blade and motor, so the installation is not! reversible. Care must be
>taken as the blades are a tight fit.  Because of the screwed up
>airflow
>the fan is much noisier than original.  The increase in airflow is
>impressive, but the blower sounds like a F14 taking off.  During
>Colorado winters the increase in defrost and heating effectiveness
>offset the noise problems.
>
>Any other ideas?  Anyone tried the upgraded fan blade?
>
>Kelvin.

Kelvin,
  I installed one of the "upgraded" fans on my 72 about 3 years ago.
There is some improvement in airflow BUT, not in the realm of blowing the
cap off your head through the defroster vents!.  For the marginal
improvement in air flow, there is an almost equal increase in noise from
the fan. Not enough to be annoying but noticable.
 Like you, I'm interested in a fan/blower swap that will have a much more
noticable improvement.
  Oh, one thing that can really help the air flow is to remove the heater
box, and clean out all the crap inside. I did mine last fall, and it
probably had as much effect as the new fan years earlier.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget