MGB grease cap

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB grease cap
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 97 23:32:08 PDT
Ladies and gentlemen:

I am replacing the front brakes on my (wire-wheeled) '67 MGB-GT. Finished
the left side with no problems, new rotor, oil seal, rebuilt caliper, new
hose, and pads. Started the right side and cannot get the furshlugginer
grease cap (retainer) out! This is the deep metal cup which is fitted
inside the hub on wire wheel models to close the access hole for the split
pin. It has a central stud (1/4" fine) sticking out from it. The other side
offered no resistance at all.

I threaded a lock washer and nut on to the stud, snugged it up, grasped it
with pliers to pull it out, but no luck. I have tried tweaking it sideways
with a socket on an extension and also pried on it with a screwdriver after
squirting WD-40 in. I carefully poked a punch in through the split pin
access hole and tried drifting it out that way. In desperation I even tried
warming it up with a blue wrench to no avail.

Has anyone run across this problem before? The manual succinctly
states,"...withdraw the grease retainer." Am I not holding my mouth right?
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated and attempted.

Thank you,

David F. Darby
Caney Creek, Missouri USA