Re: MGB grease cap

To: schooler@erols.com
Subject: Re: MGB grease cap
From: "bill and penny meyer" <pplusb@northlink.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 13:32:28 -0700
Date:          Sat, 02 Aug 1997 09:35:39 -0400
From:          Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
To:            "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Cc:            MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>

David F. Darby wrote:

> Ladies and gentlemen:
>
> I am replacing the front brakes on my (wire-wheeled) '67 MGB-GT. Finished
> the left side with no problems, new rotor, oil seal, rebuilt caliper, new
> hose, and pads. Started the right side and cannot get the furshlugginer
> grease cap (retainer) out! This is the deep metal cup which is fitted
> inside the hub on wire wheel models to close the access hole for the split
> pin. It has a central stud (1/4" fine) sticking out from it. The other side
> offered no resistance at all.
>
> I threaded a lock washer and nut on to the stud, snugged it up, grasped it
> with pliers to pull it out, but no luck. I have tried tweaking it sideways
> with a socket on an extension and also pried on it with a screwdriver after
> squirting WD-40 in. I carefully poked a punch in through the split pin
> access hole and tried drifting it out that way. In desperation I even tried
> warming it up with a blue wrench to no avail.
>
> Has anyone run across this problem before? The manual succinctly
> states,"...withdraw the grease retainer." Am I not holding my mouth right?
> Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated and attempted.
>
> Thank you,
>
> David F. Darby
> Caney Creek, Missouri USA

David,

Here's a tip that may help.  I rigged this thing up, then discovered
that John Twist has published the same suggestion!  Boy, did I feel
smart!  Anyway, here's what you'll need.  First, get one of the tall
headnuts that are used on the post-67 MGBs.  Then get ahold of a long
head stud.  Install a normal nut on the head stud, then the tall nut.
Lock them together so that you have about half of the tall nut left
available for screwing onto the cap stud.  So do that and now you have
effectively created an extension of the grease cap stud.

At this point, I drilled a 3" x 3" block of wood, slipped it over the
extended stud, placedn a nut & a washer on said extension, and backed
the cap out by tightening the nut.
Bill