Re: automated gas pump (no LBC )

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: automated gas pump (no LBC )
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 09:19:35 -0700
Steve Byers wrote:

> I think NJ and maybe Oregon are the only two states that won't allow
> self-serve.  I have to think that the gas station lobby (or some other
> lobby) was behind this.  IMHO, it's an example of passing another law where
> none is needed.  Has anybody ever heard of anyone blowing himself up while
> "self-serving"?

I think that the no self service laws are due to pollution laws.
They figure that untrained gas naives like us are going to sloppily
poor gas all over ('It'll seep in where it needs to'), thereby causing
the fumes to escape and ravage the environment. So, a trained gas
technician pumps your gas, saving the enviroment. These pollution laws
are also why there are those 'hoses' that cover the end of the pump,
to recycle the fumes.
-Aron-
"in a frenzy"