Re: automated gas pump (no LBC )

To: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>, Steve Byers <byers@cconnect.net>
Subject: Re: automated gas pump (no LBC )
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 01:26:59 -0400
At 03:56 PM 8/3/97 -0700, John Steczkowski wrote:
>Steve Byers wrote:
>
>> I think NJ and maybe Oregon are the only two states that won't allow
>> self-serve.  I have to think that the gas station lobby (or some other
>>
>> lobby) was behind this.  IMHO, it's an example of passing another law
>> where
>> none is needed.  Has anybody ever heard of anyone blowing himself up
>> while
>> "self-serving"?
>
>I'm temporarily living in Oregon, and I have yet to figure out why we
>can't have selve serve? The only think I've been able to figure out is
>that the folks in Oregon are afraid that their quality of life will
>suffer if they have to pump their own gas (that's the only thing I've
>been able to determine from the "letters to the editor" in the paper.
>It's kind of a pain, they get ticked off because the pump won't stay in
>the B, they spill gas on the bumper (rubber). I'd prefer to just pump it
>myself.
>
>It's really a hassle at places that don't have "pay at the pump",
>because you have to get out of the car anyway to go in and pay.
>
>--
>John Steczkowski
>PSW Technologies, Inc.
>512-343-6666
>stecz@pswtech.com
>http://www.pswtech.com/~stecz
>http://www.pswtech.com                          O-
Ah the weird things we get to argue about. Although I live in New Jersey, I
have never been told that I couldn't assist with the gas pump, especially
in filling the MGs.

I haven't been to every state to check, but as far as I can see, N.J. has
about the best gas prices in the U.S.  Paid $1.08 today for Texaco regular.
Can get unbranded for $.99. Just returned from California, Oregon and
Washington State,  and the best I saw was $1.27 for branded regular. In New
Jersey those prices are full service. When I travel and see little old
ladies pumping gas I think its nice in NJ to see the best prices and full
service.

I also subscribe to the theory that it does provide high school kids etc
with a job, even if its at min. wage. What's wrong with that. The Gas lobby
is always trying to get a self service bill through in NJ. with a promise
of lower prices. If we are doing this well with full service, who needs
self service? Besides if I believed that story, I would buy three bridges
over the East River in NYC.

I know, real men like to pump their own gas. Well not everybody are real
men. Full service at no extra cost is nice sometimes, and to some all the
time.

Mike