Re: TD ignition situation

To: Steve Tritle <stevet@hbp.com>
Subject: Re: TD ignition situation
From: Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:14:23 -0400 (EDT)
        I posted this a week ago or so, so it may look familiar to some.
To test the coil for internal resistance disconect all the wires going to
the coil. Set your multimeter to the lowest ohms scale. Now with the meter
connected to the + and - side of the coil you should get a reading of
about 1.5 to 3 ohms. Much higher or lower indicates a bad coil. Next check
the secondary circut. Set the meter to the high scale and put one lead on
either the + or- terminal. Put the other lead into the tower  at the top
of the coil. You should get a reading of between 6,000 and 30,000 ohms.
copy this reading down along with the scale you got it on. If your coil
turns out to be good you can use this reading in the future when the coil
may again be in question. This will be your bench mark. The last test that
you need to do is for an internal ground. Set the meter to the high ohms
scale and connect one lead to the + or - side of the coil and put the
other lead onto the case of the coil. The needle should not move at all.
If it does there is an internal ground and the coil must be replaced.
        If you want to check the condenser there are a couple of ways to
do it. Disconnect the small wire and make sure it is not touching
anything. Set your multimeter to the dc scale and measure the voltage from
the disconnected small wire to the to the screw on the distributor that
the wire is normally connected to. If you get any voltage the condenser is
bad. The other way involves using a screw driver on the points while the
condensor is disconnected but I won't go into it now because I don't want
to run on and on and...
...Art