Re: TD ignition situation

To: stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle)
Subject: Re: TD ignition situation
From: Don Mathis <donmathis@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:58:34 -0400 (EDT)
.
>> > The TD has been running great for 2500 miles. Went out for a spin and
>> > got a "rough" running engine. I decided to check the points and they
>> > were pitted so I filed them smooth. Started and still not quite right.
>> > So now I am changing condensors. Each of three condensors do not do the
>> > trick. Could the points need replacing or maybe even the coil? I had no
>> > problem with the car one day and the next day I started it up and it
>> > will not run well. I did clean out the carbs, filter at fuel pump etc.,
>> > etc. The timing is right on the mark and the points are gapped to .o11.
>> >
>> > Coil or points or maybe even a fourth condensor? What do you think?
>> >
>> > Steve
>> > 52 TD

I recently painted the engine compartment.  While doing that I decided to
clean up the wires going to the fuse holder and the voltage regulator. (MGA)
I removed each of the wires one at a time and discovered several were
corroded.  I cleaned each one, and scraped the ends so they would make
better contact.  It is amazing how smooth the car now runs.  I thought it
was running well before!  You might check that.  Good luck

Don Mathis,Ph.D.
donmathis@lucent.com
'61 MGA
'37 Derby Bentley (B190KT)