Re: Water Pump Woes

To: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu>
Subject: Re: Water Pump Woes
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 07:20:18 -0500
Thomas James Pokrefke, III wrote:

> After perusing Moss's catalog, I think I have found the source of my
> problem.  The MFDPO fitted the later style crankshaft pulley to the B.
>
> I currently have a relatively flat, two groove pulley.  Moss shows the
>
> correct pulley as a long, three-groove affair.
>
> Could someone corroborate that the long, three-grooved pulley is
> correct
> for 1970?

Your refering to the pump pulley not  the crank pulley, right? My 18GH
crank pulley has one groove and the pump pulley has two.I may be in the
same boat that you are, if the original 18GH used a 3 groove pulley.

I ran into a mounting problem when I ordered a pump from Moss. The
overall height of the pump was ok, the problem occured with the hub
itself. The pump center hub was too big for the center hole in the fan
by approx 1/4".  I  ended up using a 3/16" spacer between the pulley and
the fan rather than trying to open up that hole and keep it centered.

FWIW, Moss's replacement is aluminum, where the old pump was cat iron.

'70 MGB with 180 miles on newly rebuilt motor, yea :)

Jeff