Re: Water Pump Woes

To: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Water Pump Woes
From: Wally Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 16:11:12 -0700

> > Could someone corroborate that the long, three-grooved pulley is
> > correct
> > for 1970?
> >

> Your refering to the pump pulley not  the crank pulley, right? My 18GH
> crank pulley has one groove and the pump pulley has two.I may be in the
> same boat that you are, if the original 18GH used a 3 groove pulley.

Both you guys could be correct.  I pulled and 18GK engine out of my '71
and replaced it with an 18V engine.  The pumps were interchangeable but
the pulleys were not.  The one from the 18GK were deeper.  Whether they
had 2 or 3 grooves I'm not sure but the shorter one from the 18V engine
has 2 grooves (one for the air pump belt).  You couldn't bolt the deeper
pulley on as it would interfere.  The shorter pulley has a spacer to
correct for the belt alignment to the crank pulley.  I could be full of
crap on all this as am relating it from dubious memory and my SO will
defintely concur on the "FOC" part!

Wally / Templeton, MA
71 MGB almost ready for the road.