Re: Transmission, Blue TRV instead of Gaskets?

To: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Subject: Re: Transmission, Blue TRV instead of Gaskets?
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:09:21 -0500
Comments spliced in below...

At 09:55 AM 8/13/97 -0500, Michael Burdick wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Jay Quinn wrote:
>
>> There is no way around taking it all apart.  There goes my new gasket kit!
>
>I hate it when that happens!

Yeah, thats all I needed to have happen.  Then after taking it apart the
2nd time, 3 spings and there ball bearings liberated themselves.  That was
fun putting them back together.  And I'm not talking about the spings and
ball bearings from detents, I'm talking about the from main gear on the shaft.

>> When I put this thing back together, AGAIN, can I just use Blue TRV and no
>> gasket?  Will this hold up against Redline MTL?  Who has done this with
>> success?  OR is there some other liquid gasket maker I should use if I'm
>> not going to use a gasket?
>
>You could just use the blue stuff by itself, but there is an alternative.
>You can buy gasket material by the sheet at your local parts store and
>make your own.  They should have a variety of thicknesses.  With a sharp
>razor blade, a hole punch, and some patience, you can get very good
>results.  Use the old/new gasket for a template if it's intact, or just
>use the plate itself.  Even if it takes you the better part of an evening
>to do it, it's still faster than waiting for a new one to arrive via
>UPS!!!
>
>Also, I really like Permatex #2 as a gasket sealer.  This stuff is great!
>I used it on a transmission I did last summer and there is no sign of oil
>coming out of it.  Also, it's black so it doesn't jump out at the concours
>judges.  (Yeah, right! :-)

This is no Concours.  I just want it to be the best no oil leak job done.
The blue elephant snot I'm using is Permatex, the stuff your talking about,
is it silicon?  Skinny black tube?  Non silicon?  I think I know what your
talking about, but is it a Gasket Macker like other permatex products claim?

The different color Permatex stuff I thought was for both temp and type of
fluids is was to stop from leaking.

--
Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
jpquinn@cyberramp.net