Transmission, Blue TRV instead of Gaskets? -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, jpquinn@cyberramp.net
Subject: Transmission, Blue TRV instead of Gaskets? -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 16:55:51 -0400
Jay,

I can't speak about Redline MTL, but I've used "sensor-safe" black
permatex for all kinds of engine oil sealing and generally don't have a
problem.

I've made thermostat gaskets by the bundles out of cardboard boxes -
there's no reason you can't do the same for your transmission cover.
Use flat (not corrugated) cardboard - like the box from an oil filter.
Mount the casting or plate in your vise, with the sealing surface up,
laying the cardboard on the sealing surface (avoid the seams and
creases).  Holding the cardboard in place,  use the round end of your
ball peen and gently tap, tap, tappity, tap at the edges of the sealing
surface until the cardboard wears away at those edges.  Eventually,
you'll tap the excess right off.  Do the inside of the casting first.  I
suppose if you wanted, you could use scissors or a razor blade to do the
outside, but as long as I was at it, I always did the outside with the
hammer too.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - which probably has transmission leaks too, but the undercarriage
isn't rusting.

>>> Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net> 08/13/97 09:13am >>>
As I am ready to kill small cats over the non stop transmission problems
I've been having...

When I put this thing back together, AGAIN, can I just use Blue TRV and
no
gasket?  Will this hold up against Redline MTL?  Who has done this with
success?  OR is there some other liquid gasket maker I should use if I'm
not going to use a gasket?