Re: MGA oil leak/rear license plate mount

To: PoleCat37@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGA oil leak/rear license plate mount
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 03:55:29 EDT
On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:35:27 -0400 (EDT) PoleCat37@aol.com writes:

>1. The 'A leaks oil out of the front end drive pulley hole.  Any
suggestions?

Replace the timing cover seal.  Unfortunately, this means you have to
remove the crankshaft pulley, which is generally easier if you remove the
radiator first.

All MGA's except the late 1600-MK-II use a thick felt washer for the
front seal.  The late MK-II had a different timing cover with a rubber
seal.  Also the timing cover from an early MGB 1800 engine has a rubber
seal and will fit the MGA engine, but only if you also change the oil
thrower on the crankshaft just inside the timing cover.

The felt seal fits into a channel in the timing cover, and (I think) can
only be fitted if the cover is removed.  The MGB rubber seal is fitted to
the inside of the cover, so that one must also be removed to renew the
seal.  If you have an original late-run MGA 1600-MK-II timing cover, the
rubber seal is fitted from the outside, and may be changed after removing
the pulley but without removing the cover.

The late MGA rubber seal cover is also compatible with the earlier MGA
oil thrower, so if you are changing to this particular cover, you don't
have to change the oil thrower.  Also note that the late 1600-MK-II
timing cover is a rare beast if you're looking for a replacement.

>2. I gather from various vague diagrams I have seen and the
configuration of the new parts we have that for the rear license plate
mount, the plate is mounted on structure which is attached to the back of
the rear bumper by two bolts,

Correct.

>and the structure which supports the lamp is mounted from the one hole
on the back of the body (in the middle).  We have a '57 coupe.  Is this
accurate?

No.  The hole on the back of the body holds a rubber grommet for the
license lamp wire harness to pass through.  The lamp itself mounts on a
bracket that fastens to the top of the license plate mounting piece.

Point of curiosity here.  While on the Alaska trip, I had to reconnect
the MGA tail light wires (more than once).  In the end, the license lamp
didn't work.  I thought maybe the power wire wasn't connected, but it
turned out that both the power and ground wires were connected to power.
YES?  Apparently the grounded internal lamp mount is not electrically
connected to the mounting bracket, but it is electrically connected to
the outer housing.  If I short the lamp housing to the license mount, the
tail lights go away, and Sir Lucas comes to haunt.  Yes, I will fix it.

By the way John, what happened to <Jaguar120@aol.com>?  I thought
PoleCat37@aol.com was long gone.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude