Re: MGA oil leak/rear license plate mount

To: PoleCat37@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGA oil leak/rear license plate mount
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 02:37:20 EDT
On Mon, 25 Aug 1997 01:04:39 -0400 (EDT) PoleCat37@aol.com writes:

>Reply to BarneyMG@juno.com:
>
>>All MGA's except the late 1600-MK-II use a thick felt washer for the
front seal.  The late MK-II had a different timing cover with a rubber
seal.

>><SNIP>
>>
>>The late MGA rubber seal cover is also compatible with the earlier MGA
oil thrower, so if you are changing to this particular cover, you don't
have to change the oil thrower.  Also note that the late 1600-MK-II
timing cover is a rare beast if you're looking for a replacement.

>+THE LATE COVER IS LISTED IN THE MOSS CATALOG, BUT NOT IN MY CURRENT
PRICE LIST.

That means that it is not currently available.  You may be able to find a
used one.  I accidentally stumbled across one.  Or rather, it was nudged
in my direction.

>..... WHY WILL THE RUBBER NOT WORK WITH THE CURRENT COVER?

Totally different cover design.  The rubber seal is much larger than the
felt seal, and is mounted differently.  This rubber seal is the same part
number that is used on the MGB.  You can use an early MGB timing cover
and rubber seal, along with the MGB oil thrower.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude