Re: Does the world need another post about: Opinion on new MG

To: patrick bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>,
Subject: Re: Does the world need another post about: Opinion on new MG
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:29:28 -0400
patrick bailey wrote:
> I didn't say that the "gumdrop"was bad it just
> looks like everything else on the road.You can spot a
> B or BGT 2 blocks away,can you do that with most new cars?

  Most new COOL cars, yes. Absolutely. No question.

  A tercel or an escort doesn't really stand out, but
an MR-2? RX-7? NSX? Of course, see them coming from miles
away. No question.

> How many times do you have do go up to a new car and look
> at the name to tell what the hell it is?

  Just about never.

  Do you not think the fact that you are a vintage
car enthusiast who doesn't like modern cars might
affect your abilites to spot BGTs versus some modern
enthusiast car?

  I can spot LBCs a lot easier than american iron
of the era, because I really like LBCs and only have
a passing interest in american muscle cars of the
era.

  Much like your eyes can pick out your wife from
a crowd at the airport, so is the same when that
BGT crosses your path in a maze of streets.

> Todays cars are better, more reliable safer,etc but they are
> NOT exciting,except for a few exceptions.

  You know, most old cars were not exciting either. We
get a rose-coloured glasses effect because when we see
the past through restored cars we are looking at the
cars that were worth keeping.

  In the future, I can see them saying "Remember in the
90s when cars were cool, they had Supras and MR2s and
RX-7s and all those great machines?"

  They won't remember the escorts, the tercels, the
323s, the Caravans, and so on.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada