Re: MG Tunes

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: MG Tunes
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 00:44:01 +0000
> That's a very good point.  My parents threw every conceivable excuse at me
>when I
> wanted an MG.  They said that the cars weren't safe, reliable, or worth
>persuing.  I
> don't think that just anyone can own an MG.
> --
> Michael S. Lishego
> St. Andrews Presbyterian College
> Elementary Education Major,
> English Minor, Class of 1999
> R.A. of Winston-Salem Hall

Michael,
        I agree.  Many of the young officers I work with have beaucoup
expendable income, and they're always impressed with how inexpensive
MGs are when I tell them.  They also say that they regret spending
$20k on a sports car that they see a dozen of on their way to work.
I've recommended B's to a few of my friends, but ONLY if I know that
they are mechanically inclined, or willing to learn, possibly on the
side of a road in the middle of the night...
        Don't flame me for saying B's are unreliable, I'm not.  I think we
can all agree, though, that an MGB requires more routine maintenance
to achieve the same level of reliability as a new Honda.  Just look
at all the stuff we cheerfully do to keep our cars running and
reliable--Dashpot oil, adjusting points, refilling shock absorbers,
adjusting lifters, possibly lead additive, and the list goes on.  For
my friends that want a unique little convertible, but are used to
maintaining new Hondas and Toyotas, I tell them buy a Miata and put a
custom paint job and stereo into it.  They'd be happier.

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner