(NC) mgs@autox.team.net e-mail delay

To: britcars@juno.com (Lawrence J Alexander)
Subject: (NC) mgs@autox.team.net e-mail delay
From: Kai Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 15:29:40 -0400
>>I got one of my posts from over a week ago as if it were new mail.
>>Anyone else noticed this? I think this has happen to me a couple of times
>>lately.
>
>Sooooo glad to hear that it wasn't happening only to me! I was beginning
>to think that working on pre-1981 cars had brought about some kind of
>time-warp in the shop....
>
>Lawrie
>British Sportscar Center

This has to do with Internet topology...which I really don't feel like
discussing.   Hell, to enrich everyone on the list I will discuss it.
(Command: Trevor Delete)

Your email is made up of electronic packets, when you send your message it
is chopped up into these little packets.  These little packets then travel
thru a router (sort of like a traffic cop), the router picks the route that
each packet follows.  When ALL the packets arrive at Majordomo (the
software this list runs on), then Majordomo repeats this process except now
it has to send the message to 700 people.  So now you have 700 emails
getting chopped up into tiny packets.  Then they all go thru the same or
different routers, and once again the router tells the packets which way to
go.

*Depending on the region you are in, and how well you provider is connected
determines how fast you receive your email.  Even if you have a fast
provider, you may not get it on time due to a problems just like traffic
jams.*

Ok now.  Once your ISP gets all the packets the email server your ISP uses
then reassembles the email, and puts it into your mailbox.  But before it
can reassemble the email it must receive all the packets.

By this time some email servers will already have all the packets, and then
they put it together..someone already has it so they read it and
reply...and then the process repeats, except this time maybe the router
sends it a different route...so you get the email before you original post.

Does everyone understand?

Just imagine a team of 10 Triumphs (the blue team), and another team of 10
MGs (red team).  Imagine that the 2 teams are competing to get from New
York to LA.  Now at every intersection there is a cop telling each car
which way to go.  So now you have cars 20 cars all over the country trying
to get to LA.  But for the Red team to win all of its cars must be at LA,
and the same goes for the Blue team.  If an MG is stuck in traffic he will
be late getting to LA...so the other cars have to wait.  Meanwhile all the
TRs get to LA and start heading back to NY.

This is what happens on the Internet with everything you do.  Everything
depends on congestion and the routers.  I can bring in other factors like
DNS, and IPs but I really don't want to.  I'll make a webpage describing
the Internet in MG terms so you can all understand why this happens.  ;-)

<hey you David Deutsch wake up!  I am trying to teach you something and
this is the respect you give me!  That is it, young man get up and walk
yourself to your ISP for a whoopin!>

Cheers,

KMR

Kai Radicke -- mowogmg@pil.net, 1966 MGB @ http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
Dialogue Internet - Intelligent Internet Solutions (Net Khan)

IRC: irc.voicenet.com, #inet-access (my nick: ActiveX or KMR)