Re: (NC) mgs@autox.team.net e-mail delay

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: (NC) mgs@autox.team.net e-mail delay
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 02:42:23 +0000
My B.S. is in computer science and Engineering, but I'll be the first
to admit that my knowledge of Internet routing is a little light.  As
far as the number of "hops" between the source of a packet and the
destination, would it really make a difference?  If each router is
simply receiving, analyzing, and forwarding a packet, shouldn't the
delay be on the order of a few milliseconds per "hop"?  I've always
understood that any delay in an e-mail measurable in days was the
result of a broken/isolated router, not the actual number of routers.
 I know that anytime the router in Atlanta goes down, pretty much all
of Florida gets shut out, since most of our traffic passes through
the Atlanta router.  There's a shareware program out there that lets
you name an IP number or DNS name, and it tells you the route a
packet takes to get from source to destination, along with delays
along the route.  Even the most convoluted routes I could find were
only a few seconds from start to finish.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner