Re: Brake fluid

To: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Brake fluid
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:52:01 +0100
Andy Ramm wrote:

> Castrol GT LMA.  I don't use nothin' else!  YMMV

Ah, "Me Too!" as the AOLers say.

The TR6 had DOT 5 Silcone in the brake system when I bought it. The
master cylinder had just as much black goo in it as with DOT 4 and it
was leaking pretty much the same way. The master cylinder had the same
pits in it.

I rebuilt with Castrol GT LMA (A Dot 4 conventional fluid) and
everything is working fine.

BTW -- I did not bother to flush the system out and then squeege out all
the lines with coat hangers, fishing line, and small peices of cat ear
per the directions, either. Dot 4 and Dot 5 are reasonably compatible
(4,000 miles and six months later).

Other than protecting the paint, I don't see the atraction.

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"However, I must agree with Bob Allen" -- Larry Unger, Sept. 15, 1997