Re: Brake fluid

To: tomm@ti.com
Subject: Re: Brake fluid
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 21:24:27 EDT
Tom:

On Monday, 15 September 1997, at 16:48 you wrote:

>What alternative brake fluid can I use in my 77B?  Should I order the
>suggested or is there something cheaper I can pick up at the local
>autostore?

I recommend that you skip the suggested, and skip something cheaper, and
switch to a DOT 5 silicone brake fluid:

        * Higher boiling point
        * Works in drum or disc systems
        * Does not absorb water
        * Lubricates seals (doesn't 'swell' them)
        * Won't harm painted surfaces
        * Doesn't deteriorate like DOT 4 and lower
        * Mil-spec quality

You'll need to completely flush your braking system before using the
silicone fluid, as DOT 5 is incompatible with the lower numbered grades.
Costs around $15.00 a quart, but since it doesn't absorb water, you can
reseal it with a piece of plastic film (ie, Saran-wrap) under the cap,
and safely store it.  Buy it in the quart size as the pint cost is
something like $6.00 (at four pints to a quart, it'll save you $9.00).  I
think I got mine through the local Champion Auto Parts store.

On my '79 Midget, I used aerosol brake parts cleaner to flush my lines
with.  Since I had previously rebuilt all the hydraulic components
(including the clutch parts) before switching to the silicone fluid, I
only spent about $21.00 and 4 hours.  The result is a much stiffer pedal,
and less maintenance to the braking system.  Since the silicone doesn't
absorb water, you won't need to bleed the system as often -- and, if you
have the plastic reservoir, you'll be able to see your fluid level much
more easily, as the silicone fluid has a distinctive purplish cast to it.

Luck,

Rich Arnold
Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA

richard.arnold@juno.com

"It is wise to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties."
James Madison ca. 1791