Re: Article on installing top

To: Nory@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Article on installing top
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 18:49:21 EDT
On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 01:33:22 -0400 Nory@webtv.net (Nory) writes:
>Steve,
>
>My top frames are cracked at the rivets, just like yours.  So it was
>lack of lubrication?  Can this be welded?  There isn't much room to
>work
>with, between the break and the rivet.
>
>(I suppose I could duct tape it, if I have to)
Nory,
  The top frame on both my 74 and my son's 73 have broken at the same
place (across the rivet hole).  There isn't enough steel there to do a
satifactory weld.
  But I have a solution that works.  I've used it on both cars and have
had no problems since.
  Take a piece of scrap steel the same width and thickness as the top
frame and about 2.5 In long. With the use of a vise and the judicious
application of a hammer, introduce an offset in the center, just enough
to clear the rivet head.  Reassemble the broken sections in their correct
position and clamp securely.  Now weld the homemade repair section across
the break, on the inside (toward the passenger compartment.
  A bit of filing/sanding and a lick of paint, and it has worked great
for the last 7 + years. So well in fact, I did the other side before it
broke!
 YMMV

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT