Re: 76 MG-B

To: JedPiper@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: 76 MG-B
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:18:26 +0000
> Tom -
>
> If your engine is in good shape overall, valves, cam, pistons, rings, etc.,
> you will notice a significant improvement in performance after installing
> the Weber.  I took my installation one step further by also removing all
> the original pollution equipment, which may also contribute to my
> satisfaction with the DGV swap.  I realize, of course, that removing the
> original pollution equipment from your car may not be an option, due to
> federal, state, local laws or personal objection.  However, even with the
> pollution equipment in place, you will likely be very pleased with the DGV.
>
> It is my opinion that many MG owners will recommend the twin SU's over the
> Weber simply because that is what they are familiar with.  It really comes
> down to the amount of time and money you're willing to spend on your
> carburetor swap.  In that respect alone, I feel the Weber is a better
> choice for post 74.5 MGB's.
>
> Happy motoring,
>
> Jed Piper
> 76B

Jed,
        I have a Weber DGV setup now on my '72, also sans pollution control,
but I think the jury is permanently out on which system is better,
the dual SUs or the Weber downdraft.  I think part of the reason is
that a lot of owners are buying Webers because their SUs are twenty
years old or older, and are basically shot.  So of course they're
going to be happier with a new Weber compared to their clapped-out
SUs.  Anybody have any experience with a new/rebuilt set of SUs
compared to a new Weber DGV?  I have the old SUs in a box now,
courtesy of the BPO, and am considering having them rebuilt by Jim
Taylor and re-installed.  I wouldn't worry about it, except that the
off-idle bog of the Weber is bothering me, and I have engine
vibrations at idle that I can't attribute to anything else after the
full engine rebuild.  I'm not saying that my Weber is a good example
of the breed, since I found what I believe to be a date code on the
carb body that says 4/71.
Scott