Re: Enlightening Flywheels

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Enlightening Flywheels
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:39:14 -0400
Mike Lishego wrote:
> Of course, I guessed that a quicker-revving engine would
> translate into more acceleration, but like Trevor
> said, it's probably more than that.

  I still agree it would give faster acceleration. I
am unsure of the amount and if it's worth it, but it
seems logical that if you can rev the engine faster
against it's own weight while in neutral, it'll
pay off a bit even under load.

  What I was more interested in pointing out was that
there isn't any simple relation between flywheel
weight in pounds and the force required to change
it's spin rate. The calculation would be still
possible, but not the way it was laid out there.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada