Steering Wheel Removal

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Steering Wheel Removal
From: "William C. Mills" <williem@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 06:55:58 -0400
I bought this Moto Lita steering wheel from a fellow at Chapel Hill last
year to go on my 'B.  I tried, unsuccessfully, to remove my steering wheel
hub but gave up for fear of screwing up the steering column.  I am ready to
try it again and would appreciate some advice.  Mine is a '74 BGT and I got
the nut off without any major problem.  The hub is still tight on the
splined end of the column.  Previous attempt was to back the nut off most of
the way (don't remove the nut or you may be making teeth impressions on the
old wheel when it come off), grab the wheel on both sides, both feet firmly
into the bulkhead beneath the brake/clutch pedals, while pulling out on the
wheel mightly my helper gave the end of the column a couple of sharp whacks
with the brass hammer.  We gave up without getting it to budge. Perhaps we
were too timid about whacking the end of the column, I have heard of horror
stories about the telescoping steering column and attempts to repair it from
too hard a whack.

Any suggestions?  What kind of pentrating oil would work best (Liquid
Wrench?)?  Anyone fashion a steering wheel puller for a B that attaches to
the bolt holes in the hub?  Standard steering wheel pullers don't seem to
fit the bolt pattern.

Bill