Re: Steering Wheel Removal

To: "Craig H. Brallier" <brallier@twd.net>,
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal
From: "Syd Saperstein" <tcsyd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:59:11 -0700
Don't whack anything! What you need is a steering wheen puller.
Dealerships (in the old days) and most garages today have different pullers
for different items.  You can make one up for yourself if you need to.
Most auto parts stores sell a universal type puller which has a clasping
device that grabs the wheel hub at 3 points around its circumference and a
central bolt that you turn down against the top on the steering column.
that bolt applies the pressure while the clasps distribute the pulling
pressure evenly around the wheel hub.  Anyway, you would not believe how
much energy is required to pull the splines apart.  In case the splines
have corroded together you can apply some penetrating oil to the spline
tops.   When you pull on the wheel rim by hand you actually apply uneven
and gripping pressure to the splines that makes it harder to get the thing
off!  Vibration may also help, but that may take us off the subject and
start a whole new thread that's not PC.
TTFN
TCSYD