Re: Steering Wheel Removal

To: "William C. Mills" <williem@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal
From: "Craig H. Brallier" <brallier@twd.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 10:47:40 -0700
William C. Mills wrote:

> I bought this Moto Lita steering wheel from a fellow at Chapel Hill last
> year to go on my 'B.  I tried, unsuccessfully, to remove my steering wheel
> hub but gave up for fear of screwing up the steering column.  I am ready to
> try it again and would appreciate some advice.  Mine is a '74 BGT and I got
> the nut off without any major problem.  The hub is still tight on the
> splined end of the column.  Previous attempt was to back the nut off most of
> the way (don't remove the nut or you may be making teeth impressions on the
> old wheel when it come off), grab the wheel on both sides, both feet firmly
> into the bulkhead beneath the brake/clutch pedals, while pulling out on the
> wheel mightly my helper gave the end of the column a couple of sharp whacks
> with the brass hammer.  We gave up without getting it to budge. Perhaps we
> were too timid about whacking the end of the column, I have heard of horror
> stories about the telescoping steering column and attempts to repair it from
> too hard a whack.
>
> Any suggestions?  What kind of pentrating oil would work best (Liquid
> Wrench?)?  Anyone fashion a steering wheel puller for a B that attaches to
> the bolt holes in the hub?  Standard steering wheel pullers don't seem to
> fit the bolt pattern.
>
> Bill

Bill,
I'm not familiar with the 74 B steering wheel but from your description
it sounds like mine.  The steering wheel is bolted onto the hub by 6
bolts.  I removed the 6 bolts and steering wheel and loosened up the nut
on the shaft.  I then put a piece of unistrut angle across the hub and
end of the shaft lining up 2 holes in it with 2 bolt holes on opposite
sides of the hub.  By tightening the bolts in those holes the hub will
pull off.  Be sure to center the wheels before you remove the hub.  It
also helps to mark the shaft.  Good Luck.

Craig

75 MGB
76 MGB