Midget based on Honda Civic? Not actually true....

To: MGDIGEST <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Midget based on Honda Civic? Not actually true....
From: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:52:00 +0100
Larry & Janet wrote:

 >>>Several years ago there was a new Midget based on the Honda Civic.
At the
time I thought "STUPID" then I thought It's an MG, get the placard in
the
consumers view.
As far as I know they never delivered.

Larry & Janet
78 Midget<<<<

As far as Austin Rover (as the company was known at the time) was
concerned, there never was an MG Midget based upon the Honda Civic.
Motor magazine ran a story with uncannily accurate sketches in January
1985, and said that these were of an MG Midget based on the Civic - but
they weren't; the actual prototype (featured in my book) was a styling
model, based upon the packaging of a proposed new Metro (Austin Rover's
small hatchback) and developed in the Austin Rover Advanced Concept
Studio. It was not a runner and was really just an ideas car - car
companies build these all the time.

Fast forward a year or two (I forget the exact dates) and Road & Track
built a Honda CRX Spyder, and dolled one up with cardboard cut-out MG
badges as a "what if?" MG Midget. They were also following the line
that, behind closed doors, Austin Rover was working on such a car.
Perhaps it should have been, but it wasn't.