Re: Carb Question

To: Lawrie@britcars.com
Subject: Re: Carb Question
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 20:32:01 +0000
> > From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
> (SNIP)
>
> >     Lawrie why is it so expensive to rebuild carbs? Short of having
> > to rebush the shafts the parts can't cost much at all.

<<SNIP>>

> About three hours per pair. The job involves disassembling, chemically
> cleaning, inspecting all the parts to make sure there's no damage to
> threads, flat surfaces, etc. (and, of course, fixing any problems we find).
> Next, the aluminum pieces are bead-blasted with plastic beads, and the
> hardware is all wire-brushed. Then re-assembly takes place, with careful
> attention to correct settings, lubrication of moving parts, etc. We
> (thankfully!) no longer have to read the instructions but it is our years
> of experience that lets us see whether the carbs as received are correct
> for the application, whether they have the correct damper springs, etc. An
> owner doing his for the first time might take pains to put something back
> the way he found it, not knowing that a previous owner had botched the job!

I guess a crude analogy would be childbirth.  It's expensive to birth
a child in a hospital, with an MD, nurses, and all the diagnostic
equipment, but if there's ANYTHING out of the ordinary, you'd be glad
you paid the extra money.  I'm sure there are some carbs that are in
good enough shape to be rebuilt just by buying the kit and replacing
parts, but unless you have the experience to know that, and to
know that you're reassembling it correctly, your best efforts might
be all for naught.
Scott