Re: AA and RAC Badges, SU Choke setup

To: "Nory" <Nory@webtv.net>, "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Subject: Re: AA and RAC Badges, SU Choke setup
From: "Syd Saperstein" <tcsyd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 01:01:35 -0700
Nory,  The RAC stands for the Royal Automobile Club which besides being
somewhat like our AAA is the official governing body for many automobile
competitions in the UK...sort of a cross between our AAA and the SCCA
(Sports Car Club of America) with the emphasis on the competition side.
The AA is Englands first automobile association and their history is almost
as old as motoring itself.  They were responsible for establishing traffic
lights and road hazard identification traffic systems before the English
government ever did.  You can check out the AA today at
http://www.theaa.co.uk/theaa/index    They have all kinds of member
services...much more like our AAA here.  The AA badge in question is the
one that was issued in England in the 40's and 50's and has two large metal
A's surrouonded by a circle at the top of which is a winged tire. The
background behind the A's is yellow.   Each one is serial numbered and
stamped with a typical "this badge is the property of AA and must be
surrendered when your membership is expired"  Anyway, it's just a bit of
nostalgia that looks right on cars of the same vintage as the badge
especially home models or right hand drives.
TTFN
TCSYD

Saperstein <tcsyd@ix.netcom.com>; RogerBailey <rnjbailey@gen-x.net>;
mgs@autox.team.net