Re: AA and RAC Badges, SU Choke setup

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: AA and RAC Badges, SU Choke setup
From: "A.B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 20:30:52 -0500
At 07:59 PM 10/24/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Also I am having trouble with cold starts on my 57 MGA. I can find no
>linkage adjustment description in any workshop manual or the SU
>handbook. Anyone any ideas?

There are only two choke adjustments.  One is to make sure that the link
between the two jet levers is of such a length that the jets are balanced,
i.e., they come out the same distance when the choke cable is pulled.  The
other is to make sure the jets are firmly bedded on the adjusting nuts when
the choke cable is pushed all the way in.  This way you don't run rich.  You
should start to see jet movement (downward) after pulling out the choke
about 1/4" or so.   When the choke is pulled all the way out, the jets
should be about 1/4" or more away from the adjusting nuts.  The levers on
the jets limit how far out they go.

If your car is firing but not idling properly, that's a different thing.
The fast idle screw needs to be turned in (clockwise).

If all of these things are OK, then your cold start problem is not the
carbs.  There's nothing left to adjust.
                                A. B. Bonds